In 1825, the Society of Separatists of Zoar contracted to build seven miles of the Ohio and Erie Canal, including four locks, just southwest of the village. Payment for the work, completed in 1828, allowed the society to settle its land debt. The canal made a significant economic contribution to the village, bringing packet boat passengers to the Zoar Hotel and providing new outlets for goods produced by the Society. Today the canal is part of the Ohio & Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor.
September 3, 2014