Built in 1929 by the Goodyear Zeppelin Corporation, the Akron Airdock served as a construction facility for lighter-than-air ships, also known as blimps.
The building, which sits on the Goodyear produced airships for the U.S. Navy, launching the USS Akron in 1931 and the USS Macon in 1934.
This massive building is among the largest buildings ever designed, covering an area larger than eight football fields and standing higher than a 20-story skyscraper.
As the development of aircraft carriers advanced, the need for airships declined. The last Naval blimp to launch from the Airdock was the ZPG-3W, completed in 1960.
For its contribution to aviation history, The Akron Airdock was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
June 5, 2015